Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thrifty Me

I am not those lucky ones who are blessed with loads of $$$$ all my life. I am hopeful that the $$$$ that is lacking will come triple-fold in the near future * praying... hoping... wishing... Hey, SP! Cepat start you punya ceremony (hoi tann jok fatt) to bless me! :P *


With the lack of *quoting C* ahem... 'financial resources', I'll have to make do with whatever I have or can do to make my life more cheery. Knowing me, I am a shopaholic and I just MUST buy stuff. The need to own things is relatively high in me * :P * Wan pengsan, leh? * And to come from a Hakka family, where Hakkas are well known for their 'thrifty-ness', I guess that trait is ingrained into my sub-consciousness... Being the middle child too forced me to be independent to get things done myself if I ever wanted something as I've learned since young - never to rely on anyone but me-self to take care of my own welfare. Maybe it is also triggered by the D-I-Y and crafty side of me that I enjoy making stuff, quoting Pammie ' PQ, everything oso you must make wan' and W@i's euphemism for my such weird habit as ' unleashing my creativity'. W@i is the one who always encourage me on my this habit and I appreciate her motivations. She always doesnt like to receive gifts from me unless it is handmade by moi. Such a sweet gal. Thanks, W@i ! * Hugsies to you! *


When I was browsing through Mydin last week, I came across this :

Traditional 'pressed powder' used by the older generation when money were scarce and cosmetics were - well, unavailable. I just couldnt resist the old-school packaging and as it costs only rm1.50, I thought, why not get one to sample on. It is available only in 2 colors - white and pink. I chose the latter.

Not all cheap things is bad. Surprisingly, this powder is extremely FINE & SMOOTH and has a pleasant baby talcum smell. The drawback - it is a mild formula and does not stick onto you skin as hardly as our current cosmetic powders and requires touch-ups. Hence, a good choice for light coverage on a casual day.

The shade, since available only in 2 colors, obviously doesnt suit my pigskin. Was thinking what to do with it when an idea struck me. I had some blushers which the colors doesnt suit me or I had just gotten bored with them * :P * The thrifty side of me decided to 'experiment' with the idea. I scraped out the blusher, which was a shade too red for me, and mix it with the powder.

Voila! A lighter shade! Now the color suits me!


*heehee* No need to throw out the wrong color blush now! Sumore got new color to use! Yippee!So, if any of you accidentally got a shade of blusher wrong home, try this trick and see if it works for you or not. If it doesnt, just give away your blusher to a friend la * :P *

Another thrifty tip:

Feeling 'mmn ser tuck' to throw out eyeshadows that expired or which colors you doesnt like anymore? Well, fret not now! I came across this tip from a magazine and tried it out - it works! As it has past the expiry date yet you barely used it before, sure feel sad to throw it away, right? Unless you are the kind who joy over this incident as it gives you the excuse to buy more & NEW ones, try this.


Go buy a clear coloured nail vernish. I used this - only rm1.30 for my experiment. The better quality clear vernish you use, the better the results would be.

Then, scrape out the unwanted eye shadow and press them into powder. Make sure no clumps of it left as it will affect the end result.

Pour the powder into the clear vernish, screw the cap back on, and SHAKE IT, BABY! Shake it HARD & FAST! * muahahahaha! * When it is all well mixed, you get this ;

New nail-polish colors! Yay!!! And you dont have to throw out the eye shadows too! Just use them as you would with normal nail-polish. Nice tip, hor?

I truly enjoyed trying this out. Hope you all will too! If you are too lazy to do this, just donate to me your unwanted blushers or eye-shadows! * :) * I welcome you anytime! Or I can help you make, but you supply me the materials la * wink *

No comments: