Wednesday, February 28, 2007

yee sang

This year's CNY, finally get to 'lou sang' with SP! * heehee * Anyway, all my cheemuis n hingtai never actually went 'lou sang' with me before la - so this is a first i guess * :P *

As there was only the 2 of us (everyone else had colliding schedule * :/*), and our semangat 'lou sang' membara, we went for the mini 'yee sang' by RajaSushi * :P * I went in with overwhelming skeptism that it woulnt be good but it proved me wrong. It turned out to be okay * hehehe *


The rm8.88++ yeesang... * heehee * the table behind if me was occupied by this group of young, college guys, and surprisingly, they were in a much more spirited CNY than both of us. They too did 'lou sang', complete with the shouting out of prosperous CNY greetings like ' bou bou go sing', those good 'yee tau' phrases ahmahs and aunties use during CNY, if u get what I mean.

Well, the mini 'yee sang' is definitely a grain of sand compared to the GIANT 'yee sang' I prepared for my club's CNY event. It can serve up to 80 people! NO KIDDING! I bought a bag of 50pairs of disposable chopsticks - tak cukup guna leh! And the 50 people who did the toss only ate like half of the platter!

A BIG-ASS platter of 'yee sang' !!!

See the mountain of stuff? * muahahhahahaha! * Those pickled stuff n crackers n seasoning I got from the wholesaler and the fresh stuff ( shredded carrots,sengkuang,chinese parsley, pomelo) my mum n I did it. I hate to say this - but I am proud of myself that it turned out to be what it supposed to be and tasted good too! * heehee *

The CNY event though a hassle as it involves a territory I am not familiar with - which is the Chinese customs and culture, proved to be an eye-opening and refreshing experience for me. I am blessed to be given a chance to rekindle and reintroduce myself to the culture of CNY celebration and of course, learned to appreciate it more than before.

It is sad to learn that the current n future generations are losing their touch of the CNY actually meaning and fun. All the current generations see are holidays and angpau and the chance to buy new clothes n shoes. I am glad that I now have a broader perspective of CNY and understand why the older generations usually very hyped up with this celebration.

No comments: